Ultrapak cord is made of 100% cotton, knitted into thousands of tiny loops to form long, interlocking chains. This unique knitted design exerts a gentle, continuous outward force following placement, as the knitted loops seek to open. Optimal tissue displacement occurs in 3–8 minutes. Ultrapak E is impregnated with racemic epinephrine hydrochloride.
- The original—and smallest—knitted cord
- Provides rapid tissue displacement, detailed margins, and quality impressions
- Facilitates easy packing and stays placed better than any twisted or braided cord
- Compresses upon packing then expands for optimal retraction
- Does not entangle in diamond bur
- Bright colors facilitate easy location and removal
- Available with or without epinephrine*
- High carbon steel blade ensures a clean cut
- Thin plastic gate prevents cord from falling into the bottle upon cutting
- Ruler printed on label provides easy cord measurement
*Note: Do not use Ultrapak E or other epinephrine preparations with ferric sulfate solutions, including ViscoStat, Astringedent, and Astringedent X, as a blue/black precipitate will occur. Ultrapak with Epinephrine is not available in all countries.
INDICATIONS FOR USE
Ultrapak cord is used for rapid tissue displacement prior to impression making and can also be used to deliver ferric sulfate solutions subgingivally for sulcular fluid control. Ultrapak is designed to enhance ViscoStat, Astringedent, and Dento-Infusor tissue management techniques. Conventional techniques using alum, aluminum chloride, etc. are also enhanced when using Ultrapak plain knitted cords, which carry significantly greater quantities of hemostatic solution than conventional cords.
THE WORLD’S SMALLEST KNITTED CORD
Knitting a cord small enough to fit into the sulcus was no easy task. In fact, it took 9 months to knit the first 1 inch of the size #0 cord. Once we had learned the best methods and techniques to knit Ultrapak’s microscopic loops, we learned we could make even smaller cords—all the way to size #000, the smallest knitted retraction cord in the world.
KNITTED, NOT BRAIDED OR TWISTED
Prior to Ultrapak, all retraction cords were either twisted or braided. When the clinician tries to pack a twisted cord with a packing instrument, the instrument slips between the fibers of the cord. Braided cord elimintated that problem, but a braided cord is very rigid, which makes packing into the sulcus challenging. Knitted cords are flexible and allow for easy packing with an instrument. The microscopic compressible loops of the knitted cord afford greater interthread space than braided cord. Upon packing, the loops compress and express hemostatic astringent to underlying tissues. As loops open, a gentle, continuous outward force is exerted. A knitted cord is like a chain; it bends and stays put when packed into place.
Ultrapak comes in cords as small as size #000 to as large as size #3, making Ultrapak suitable for any clinical situation. The smaller cords are ideal for pediatric cases where carious lesions have extended beyond the gumline and as the first cord in the double-cord technique. The larger cords work well as the upper cord in the double-cord technique and for areas that have thick gingival tissues that require a significant amount of force to be retracted.
- Use as lower cord in the double-cord technique
- Anterior teeth
- Double packing
- Preparing and cementing veneers
- Restorative procedures dealing with thin, friable tissues
- Lower anteriors
- When luting near gingival and subgingival veneers
- Class III, IV, and V restorations
- Second cord for double-cord technique
- Non-impregnated #1 and #2 sizes are particularly effective for tissue control and/or displacement when soaked in coagulative hemostatic solution prior to and/or after crown preparations
- Use as a protective pre-preparation cord on anteriors
- Upper cord for double-cord technique
- Use as a protective pre-preparation cord
- Areas that have fairly thick gingival tissues where a significant amount of force is required
- Upper cord for use with the double-cord technique